Sunday, June 28, 2020

Masks and Motivations


Not long before his own death in 1955, James Dean did public safety announcements encouraging people to drive safely.  The format was a kind of interview about Dean’s penchant for racing.  The interview concludes with the question “Do you have any special advice for the young people who drive?”  Legend has it that Dean was supposed to advise cautious driving with the line, “The life you save might be your own.”  Instead, he retorts something much cooler: “Take it easy driving – uh, the life you save might be mine.”

Although car accidents still cause many deaths, one good thing is that everyone nowadays more or less accepts that reckless driving (drunken, distracted, etc.) is bad.  We agree on a pro safe driving norm, however imperfectly we follow it.  Contrast this with mask wearing.  We’ve gotten into a bad place in which wearing masks is politicized and moralized.  Politicization is bad because everybody hates their political enemies, so no one wants to signal submission to the other side’s norms.  Moralization is a less obvious case, but I still think it’s probably bad.  We don’t like feeling like we’re being forced to do stuff, so we react against it – even if we otherwise might not have had a strong preference, and even if the relevant “forcing” is just through moralized blaming attitudes. 

By way of personal disclosure, I will confess that I’m on Team Scared about Covid-19.  However quite a few people I know are on Team Meh.  As a result I’ve had to explain a few times why I wanted to be strict about this or that rule for social distancing.  I’ve tried playing the ethics professor, saying something like, “Well, there are vulnerable people around here and I don’t want to get anyone sick.”  That tact has met with consistent incredulity.  Usually the response goes something like, “Yeah but really, why?”  Then I tried saying, “Look, I’m very afraid of death and there are entire mountain ranges in Wyoming where I’ve never fly fished even once yet.”  Everyone I know has been totally willing to accommodate my preferences when presented in this way. 

Now, maybe this isn’t a fair experiment because my friends know me too well to go along with the unselfish storyline.  But I’m trying to get at a question about motivation and identity. 

My understanding of the literature so far is that people respond better to public than to personal-interest appeals when it comes to reporting an intention to wear a mask.  Messaging focusing on “your community” positively influences reported intentions to wear a mask more than messaging about “you” or “your family.”  That makes it seem like appealing to someone’s altruism is better than appealing to their self-interest.  Of course I have my own biases about this, but I’m suspicious.  Reporting an altruistic motivation is socially desirable.  I am interested to see how these findings transfer to behavior.  Maybe norm promotion doesn’t really have much effect on action at all.

I’m not a psychologist, though I did once use the term “p-hacking” in a sentence.  Anyway, here is my speculation.  Telling someone to wear a mask for moral reasons seems like tsk tsk-ing them.  People don’t even like being persuaded by reasons, because it feels like a threat to their autonomy.  At the same time, people do like getting credit for doing moral things when it doesn’t feel like they’re getting pushed around.  So they are more easily persuaded by stories than arguments.

Masks are uncomfortable for some (read: mostly men) because they think it’s strange or shameful to wear one.  (The gender story here is a subject for another post.)  But as with driving, once everyone is on board, those self-directed feelings go away.  Maybe we need more steps to push compliance without insinuating that defectors are violating a moral requirement. 

I wonder if conservatives might just need a different kind of story to get on board.  I mentioned the gender issue.  I wonder if there is also a class issue.  Childhood socioeconomic status affects whether people respond better to self-interested or altruistic concerns when safety is at stake. 

For my own part, if and when the time comes again that we have in-person classes, I plan to tell my students they have to wear masks not because there is something such that “we” are somehow “in it together”, because I’m old and fragile and still have to make it to the Wind Rivers.  Put on a mask!  The life you save might be mine.